Haus Salzgeber


This is Zermatt’s oldest house. It was built in 1607, incorporating a stable for sheep as well as living quarters.

On the house’s wooden external façade, passers-by can read the inscription clearly: Salzgeberhaus. The Salzgebers were citizens of Zermatt, but the family has since died out. Two interior beams carry an inscription in Latin and old German declaring that the building was erected in 1607. After extensive rebuilding and renovation, the structure was converted into two apartments.

  • The Salzgeber family coat of arms is on display in the Ruden Bar of the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof

  • Zermatlantis, the Matterhorn Museum: examples of traditional homes and their furnishings

  • The Salzgeber house: not open for visits